The Electric Circus Saloon
'Ey dude let's party!
'Ey dude let's party!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Have a drink, dude.

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Foreign Languages!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Doctor Ruin
Pub Manager
Doctor Ruin

Foreign Languages! Empty
PostSubject: Foreign Languages!   Foreign Languages! Icon_minitime19th August 2010, 12:47 am

Sooooo... here's the topic! Very Happy

What are your favourite languages? Which ones can you speak/write?

I have a pretty good knowledge of english (I guess you didn't know that Laughing ), italian (yet another surprise Foreign Languages! 2548 ) and... neapolitan dialect Laughing Laughing
I can easily read french (used to speak that, too, but not anymore D: ), spanish and portuguese, plus I know random finnish, swedish and german words.

If I could, I would probably love to study any existing language on the world, lol.

And yep, we are going to use this topic for international lessons! Very Happy
Your turn, now! cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/astraea_nevermore
xanthipee
Bartender
xanthipee

Foreign Languages! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foreign Languages!   Foreign Languages! Icon_minitime19th August 2010, 1:30 am

Well, I only speak English well. Actually, I have BA in English language and literature. I also speak a little German and even less Italian. I wouldn't mention the languages which I know the certain words of, because it's nothing really. Also, I learned Latin in high school and I know a few prayers in Greek and that's it. Oh, I've forgotten to mention the Old English which I had at the University and Old Slavonic, which is the official language of the Serbian Orthodox Church. I've just remember that while I was studying for one of the exams, I found Pater Noster in Vandal in one of the books and, believe it or not, tried to read it! It sounded like oinking! Foreign Languages! 91066
Back to top Go down
xanthipee
Bartender
xanthipee

Foreign Languages! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foreign Languages!   Foreign Languages! Icon_minitime19th August 2010, 1:43 am

Oh, one more thing! I'm curious to find out where the two of you, Bet and principia, learned to speak Enlglish? Doc has already explained that to me. Foreign Languages! Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
principia
Pub Manager
principia

Foreign Languages! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foreign Languages!   Foreign Languages! Icon_minitime19th August 2010, 2:26 am

Xan,i started learning English since i was 11(yes,i'm still learning)
i used to study at an Anatolian High School(which was kind of a science and maths high school but used to take students with exams after primary school back then,now it's a lil bit different)
i started studying there at the age of 11 and graduated at the age of 18.
we used to learn maths and science in English and took German lessons for 3 years.(but i can't speak and understand it very well any more Foreign Languages! 2548 ) we had reading,writing and speaking lessons and i can say that i learned English very well there.
then came the university years,ya know,last year i graduated from one and started another. there were technical English lessons and some lessons are in English.

learning a foreign language is a process and i'm still lerning. i always read,write,listen and speak in English so i can say that i speak it quite frequently.(thanks to all these videos i've been watching for all these years and the movies of course Smile )

other than English,i know a little German,some ancient Greek(i can understand and speak some words) but i believe it's bullshit-as i said it's Pontos Greek and i don't think i(or my mom or my grandma) can communicate with a Greek Smile
i know some prayers in Arabic(and can read some) but can't understand it very well Smile

that's all with me!

i always wanted to learn Arabic,Persian,Ottoman Turkish(know some words,can't read,i'd like to learn them just to read some of the Ottoman classics in its original language) and French(as you may know,Turkish is kind of a combination of the four)
Russian and Spanish are also two of my favorite languages and i want to learn at least two of the languages that i listed this year Smile

now i'm gonna learn Serbian and Italian! YAY! cheers

Last edited by principia on 21st August 2010, 9:53 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
principia
Pub Manager
principia

Foreign Languages! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foreign Languages!   Foreign Languages! Icon_minitime19th August 2010, 2:27 am

oh and,here's your fisrt sentence in Turkish:

iyi geceler-good night

Sleep
Back to top Go down
Doctor Ruin
Pub Manager
Doctor Ruin

Foreign Languages! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foreign Languages!   Foreign Languages! Icon_minitime19th August 2010, 4:33 pm

xanthipee wrote:
Also, I learned Latin in high school and I know a few prayers in Greek and that's it. Oh, I've forgotten to mention the Old English which I had at the University and Old Slavonic, which is the official language of the Serbian Orthodox Church. I've just remember that while I was studying for one of the exams, I found Pater Noster in Vandal in one of the books and, believe it or not, tried to read it! It sounded like oinking! Foreign Languages! 91066

Oh, Latin... never had the chance to study that Neutral I can translate random parts, as it's very similar to italian, while I'm totally hopeless with other words Laughing
Too funny about the Vandal thing! Laughing

Btw... old Engliiiiiiiiiiiish Foreign Languages! 232696 sounds damn cool!

principia wrote:
learning a foreign language is a process and i'm still lerning. i always read,write,listen and speak in English so i can say that i speak it quite frequently.(thanks to all these videos i've been watching for all these years and the movies of course Smile )

That's the best exercise! Very Happy Especially with movies and videos, it helps a lot!
(even though, for some reason, I totally suck at understanding videos, while I can survive pretty well in live conversations Foreign Languages! 2548 )

principia wrote:
other than English,i know a little German some ancient Greek(i can understand and speak some words) but i believe it's bullshit-as i said it's Pontos Greek and i don't think i(or my mom or my grandma) can communicate with a Greek Smile

Aaaw, same problem for my mum, she knows ancient Greek and yes, unfortunately it's pretty useless nowadays Sad although some words might still be found here and there What a Face

Oh, and... here's the italian version of "iyi geceler": buona notte Very Happy (don't know if you already heard of it, thought about posting it anyway What a Face )
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/astraea_nevermore
xanthipee
Bartender
xanthipee

Foreign Languages! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foreign Languages!   Foreign Languages! Icon_minitime20th August 2010, 11:29 pm

"...learning a foreign language is a process and i'm still lerning..."

You're doing great! Bravo! Actually, I thought both you and Bet had lived in an English speaking country for years! Foreign Languages! 926381
Back to top Go down
principia
Pub Manager
principia

Foreign Languages! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foreign Languages!   Foreign Languages! Icon_minitime25th August 2010, 11:14 pm

thank you Xan cat
as i said,it's mostly about speaking,writing and reading and we've been doing that for years..i was never a passive learner,so was Bet,that's the reason Wink
Back to top Go down
zombiesmack27
Customer
zombiesmack27

Foreign Languages! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foreign Languages!   Foreign Languages! Icon_minitime22nd September 2010, 5:21 am

I speak Profanity quite well, but I don't suppose that's a recognized language.
Though people seem to recognize it when I speak it...
Foreign Languages! 251688
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Foreign Languages! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foreign Languages!   Foreign Languages! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Foreign Languages!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Electric Circus Saloon :: Second Floor :: The Fireplace-
Jump to: