The Electric Circus Saloon
'Ey dude let's party!
'Ey dude let's party!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Have a drink, dude.

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What'cha Reading?

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
zombiesmack27
Customer
zombiesmack27

What'cha Reading? Empty
PostSubject: What'cha Reading?   What'cha Reading? Icon_minitime30th April 2010, 6:25 am

I am a book freak.
I LOVE books and always have at least two books going at all times.
So, what are you currently reading?
I'm reading 'Liber Null & Psychonaut' by Peter J Carroll and 'The Transition of HP Lovecraft - The Road to Madness' by HP Lovecraft.
I'm about done with the Lovecraft book, so I'll have to find something else to read pretty soon.
study
Back to top Go down
Doctor Ruin
Pub Manager
Doctor Ruin

What'cha Reading? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   What'cha Reading? Icon_minitime30th April 2010, 12:03 pm

Oh, Lovecraft, I like him! Very Happy
I'm a book freak too, and just like you, I always have more than just one book going on. At the moment I'm reading "Through the Looking Glass, and what Alice found there" by Lewis Carroll: I have to draw the characters from Wonderland in my own style for an illustration class, so I decided to take a look at both Carroll's books. Meanwhile, I'm reading "Mort" by Terry Pratchett, who is probably my all time favourite writer... love his style and his humor Laughing

Some ongoing projects include A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess and American Gods by Neil Gaiman, but at the moment I left them a little apart to concentrate on the other two Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/astraea_nevermore
Betelguese
Pub Manager
Betelguese

What'cha Reading? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   What'cha Reading? Icon_minitime30th April 2010, 7:27 pm

Humm.. Pete Carroll.. Well, I got a late attempt to read 'The Alchemist' by Paulo Coelho and that'd be a good choice for the next book I'm to read. The Chaos Magic theory may be the reform we need after a long time havoc by lots of misinformed people, but I don't know..
Does it have a real macro insight, or is it in the half way of knowing the language of the universe, zombie?
Oh doc, I'd like to see your illustrations when you finish em What'cha Reading? Icon_bounce
I remember Pratchett was knighted in 2009 honours, along with Robert Plant, or simply Percy What'cha Reading? 2838 Percy was a CBE though.. while Jimmy Page is still an OBE What'cha Reading? 745343
By the way, "mort" reminds me of Voldemort every time I see that What'cha Reading? Icon_cool
Some of my friends had read the book, but all they said about it was 'a bit silly', is it really? What'cha Reading? Icon_rabbit
Back to top Go down
Doctor Ruin
Pub Manager
Doctor Ruin

What'cha Reading? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   What'cha Reading? Icon_minitime30th April 2010, 9:40 pm

Betelguese wrote:
Oh doc, I'd like to see your illustrations when you finish em What'cha Reading? Icon_bounce
Very Happy
Well, I think I'm going to post them on my Deviantart page when they'll be finished, I'll send you the link! =)

Quote :
I remember Pratchett was knighted in 2009 honours, along with Robert Plant, or simply Percy What'cha Reading? 2838 Percy was a CBE though.. while Jimmy Page is still an OBE What'cha Reading? 745343
By the way, "mort" reminds me of Voldemort every time I see that What'cha Reading? Icon_cool
Some of my friends had read the book, but all they said about it was 'a bit silly', is it really? What'cha Reading? Icon_rabbit

Haha, true, that name makes you thinking a little of Voldemort, lol. Even if in the italian translation they decide to add a -y at the end of the protagonist's name, so that it became "Morty"... maybe they thought that having the main character named "Mort" collaborating with the character of "Morte" (Death) in the story would have sounded a bit strange Laughing
As for the silliness... well, yes and not Very Happy Pratchett usually writes parodies of the classic fantasy genre, with a touch of satire of the real world. There's lots of non-sense, silly characters and good laughs, but also some really good points, in his books. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
principia
Pub Manager
principia

What'cha Reading? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   What'cha Reading? Icon_minitime30th April 2010, 10:53 pm

well,another book freak here study
i also like reading 2 or 3 books together,just can't wait to finish one and start another rabbit
i'm also writing stories(well,at least trying to write) so,one of them always has to be a short story book.
i'm reading Italo Calvino's(one of my favorite writers) "Sotto il Sole Giaguaro"..just started reading..
also "2150 AD" by Thea Alexander
and i'm a real Stephen King fan..read probably over 20 of his books,can't wait to jump into "Needful Things" bounce
Back to top Go down
Doctor Ruin
Pub Manager
Doctor Ruin

What'cha Reading? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   What'cha Reading? Icon_minitime30th April 2010, 11:42 pm

Yay, Calvino, a fellow countryman Very Happy are you reading the book in its original language, by the way? (just curious, I saw you posted the original title Very Happy )

Aaaaand... Stephen King! I love him, too =) My mum is a huge fan of him, too, she had all the books... but gave the majority of them away as gifts to save space in the bookshelves before I could discover my love for him Rolling Eyes Laughing I like writing stories too, by the way! =)
Back to top Go down
principia
Pub Manager
principia

What'cha Reading? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   What'cha Reading? Icon_minitime1st May 2010, 12:34 am

Doctor Ruin wrote:
Yay, Calvino, a fellow countryman Very Happy are you reading the book in its original language, by the way? (just curious, I saw you posted the original title Very Happy )

i knew you'd love Calvino flower
no,it's not in its original language(i wish i knew Italian Neutral ) but i couldn't find its English name(guess it isn't translated in English scratch )
Edit: oops,i just found it: "Under the Jaguar Sun" (the exact translation of the Turkish version)
Calvino is quite famous in Turkey,almost all of his books are translated and publishd by a couple of publishers..
i read "The Nonexistent Knight" a couple of years ago,and i fell in love with him 👅
then i read "Difficult Loves-Gli amori difficili", "L'entrata in guerra" (again i couldn't find the English name) and now "Under the Jaguar Sun"
i'm really a big fan of him study

Doctor Ruin wrote:
Aaaaand... Stephen King! I love him, too =) My mum is a huge fan of him, too, she had all the books... but gave the majority of them away as gifts to save space in the bookshelves before I could discover my love for him Rolling Eyes Laughing I like writing stories too, by the way! =)

i've been a real fan since i was 13..he's a real genius (i wish we had a pennywise smiley) :pennywise: blue guy

it's great that you like writing..i used to spend more time on writing(actually i was the 3rd winner of a literature contest,and a couple of my stories are published,but i'm not really interested in trading my works)
Back to top Go down
Doctor Ruin
Pub Manager
Doctor Ruin

What'cha Reading? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   What'cha Reading? Icon_minitime1st May 2010, 1:10 am

principia wrote:
i knew you'd love Calvino flower
no,it's not in its original language(i wish i knew Italian Neutral ) but i couldn't find its English name(guess it isn't translated in English scratch )
Edit: oops,i just found it: "Under the Jaguar Sun" (the exact translation of the Turkish version)
Calvino is quite famous in Turkey,almost all of his books are translated and publishd by a couple of publishers..
i read "The Nonexistent Knight" a couple of years ago,and i fell in love with him 👅
then i read "Difficult Loves-Gli amori difficili", "L'entrata in guerra" (again i couldn't find the English name) and now "Under the Jaguar Sun"
i'm really a big fan of him study

Woh, that's cool! Very Happy I didn't know he was that famous Very Happy
Aaaw, I always heard good comments about The Nonexistent Knight, I still have to read it, though! I guess I'm going to take a look at it as soon as possible, so Very Happy
Another book I loved by him was The Invisible Cities: it was very strange to read, but also really inspiring, I loved his imaginary in there.

Quote :
i've been a real fan since i was 13..he's a real genius (i wish we had a pennywise smiley) :pennywise: blue guy

Definitely! Love the way he defines his characters, their personalities and their stories!

Quote :
it's great that you like writing..i used to spend more time on writing(actually i was the 3rd winner of a literature contest,and a couple of my stories are published,but i'm not really interested in trading my works)

Woah, same thing over here, lol! I won a few contests and got a couple of novels published... but I'm a veeeeeeeery slooooooooooow writer, lol. I can take MONTHS to write a simple short story. Laughing
Back to top Go down
principia
Pub Manager
principia

What'cha Reading? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   What'cha Reading? Icon_minitime1st May 2010, 4:48 pm

Doctor Ruin wrote:
Another book I loved by him was The Invisible Cities: it was very strange to read, but also really inspiring, I loved his imaginary in there.

yeah,the next one will be "The Invisible Cities" study

Doctor Ruin wrote:
Woah, same thing over here, lol! I won a few contests and got a couple of novels published... but I'm a veeeeeeeery slooooooooooow writer, lol. I can take MONTHS to write a simple short story. Laughing

for me,coming up with different ideas is the problem..once i got the idea and start to form the characters and stuff,it just goes on spontaneously..it's always been easier for me to write when i feel low and moody or sad but for the last couple of months i feel exactly the opposite..so that's the case for me rabbit
Back to top Go down
Doctor Ruin
Pub Manager
Doctor Ruin

What'cha Reading? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   What'cha Reading? Icon_minitime1st May 2010, 7:06 pm

Aaaaw, yep, the right mood to write is another terrible thing to deal with! D: Well, from a side it's good to hear that at least you've been in a good mood in this period =) wish you luck for your future projects, anyway! Very Happy

By the way, as for the books I'm reading, I'm almost finished with Alice, now king
Back to top Go down
zombiesmack27
Customer
zombiesmack27

What'cha Reading? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   What'cha Reading? Icon_minitime1st May 2010, 9:35 pm

I'm now reading 'Nocturnicon' by Konstantinos but I'm just about done with it. Still slogging through 'Liber Null & Psychonaut' - not the easiest read in the world.
Back to top Go down
zombiesmack27
Customer
zombiesmack27

What'cha Reading? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   What'cha Reading? Icon_minitime4th May 2010, 7:47 am

Now I'm reading 'Shadowland' by Peter Straub.
Back to top Go down
principia
Pub Manager
principia

What'cha Reading? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   What'cha Reading? Icon_minitime8th May 2010, 11:52 pm

just finished "Under the Jaguar Sun" by Calvino and "2150 AD"
now i'm reading "Therese Raquin" by Emile Zola
Back to top Go down
Doctor Ruin
Pub Manager
Doctor Ruin

What'cha Reading? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   What'cha Reading? Icon_minitime9th May 2010, 6:29 pm

I finished both the books I was reading, and now I'm going with Lady Of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley, another of those books I started to read ages ago and never finished, lol.
Back to top Go down
Betelguese
Pub Manager
Betelguese

What'cha Reading? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   What'cha Reading? Icon_minitime9th May 2010, 11:04 pm

Good luck with Lady of Avalon Doc, absolutely worth reading tho I can't truly remember much of it, but I had enjoyed it as a kid What'cha Reading? Bom

Oh principa, finished with 2150 AD? What'cha Reading? 93423

Now reading Au Bonheur des Dames of Emile Zola; hope I'll be finished with all Les Rougon-Macquart cycle soon What'cha Reading? 959554 God I love that guy What'cha Reading? 194128
Back to top Go down
Doctor Ruin
Pub Manager
Doctor Ruin

What'cha Reading? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   What'cha Reading? Icon_minitime9th May 2010, 11:23 pm

Betelguese wrote:
Good luck with Lady of Avalon Doc, absolutely worth reading tho I can't truly remember much of it, but I had enjoyed it as a kid What'cha Reading? Bom

Good to know! Very Happy Yep, I really like Marion Zimmer Bradley's writing, too... I'm planning to read the whole Avalon series Very Happy
Back to top Go down
principia
Pub Manager
principia

What'cha Reading? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   What'cha Reading? Icon_minitime9th May 2010, 11:34 pm

Betelguese wrote:
Oh principa, finished with 2150 AD? What'cha Reading? 93423

hell yeah..finally What'cha Reading? 2548 trying to read and understand every sentence(not so much hard to understand from the writer(!)'s point of view),and ya know,the contradictions and the never ending struggle to think of such a world..well,it'd be finished much earlier but blame it on the all-things-macro,and the fact that i was reading it with Calvino(god,what a master,what an imagination!)

Betelguese wrote:
Now reading Au Bonheur des Dames of Emile Zola; hope I'll be finished with all Les Rougon-Macquart cycle soon What'cha Reading? 959554 God I love that guy What'cha Reading? 194128

Zola What'cha Reading? 232696
ya know what? seems to me that "Sleeping in the Fire" is written from Therese's point of view scratch
and if it's so,then What'cha Reading? 232696
Back to top Go down
principia
Pub Manager
principia

What'cha Reading? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   What'cha Reading? Icon_minitime16th May 2010, 4:34 pm

finished Therese Raquin,started King's "Needful Things" What'cha Reading? 232696
also,i'm reading some great writers' short stories(kinda like a compilation) like Chekhov,Poe,Tolstoy,Marquez,Kafka,Jack London,Hemingway,Oscar Wilde and many others..great read What'cha Reading? 305174
Back to top Go down
Doctor Ruin
Pub Manager
Doctor Ruin

What'cha Reading? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   What'cha Reading? Icon_minitime18th May 2010, 11:46 pm

Going with Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee, by Dee Brown... I've been wanting to read something about native americans for years, and when I found this at the bookstore I couldn't resist. It has to be the most depressing book I've ever read, though Neutral
Back to top Go down
principia
Pub Manager
principia

What'cha Reading? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   What'cha Reading? Icon_minitime19th May 2010, 1:47 pm

Doc,i have "Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee" for years-i mean,one of my best friends had it- and although i've been interested in Native Americans and their history for a long time,i always had something more important or kinda entertaining to read What'cha Reading? 308310 i used to take that book,open a random page and read something but i'm gonna start reading it from beginning to end,after i finish "Needful Things" (actually i was gonna start that one but i couldn't resist the temptation What a Face )
Back to top Go down
Doctor Ruin
Pub Manager
Doctor Ruin

What'cha Reading? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   What'cha Reading? Icon_minitime20th May 2010, 12:21 am

Lol, sounds a lot like what I've been doing with a history of architecture book I have :P been reading random parts of it from time to time, but never started it for real, even though I promised that to myself hundreds of times in the last... mmmh, five years, lol.

As for Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee, it's definitely worth the reading Very Happy I'm still at page 120 or so, but I find it really interesting (if we don't consider the fact that I'm seriously starting to hate the human race and its cruelty Rolling Eyes ). How about Needful Things, by the way? Been told it's a very good book Very Happy
Back to top Go down
principia
Pub Manager
principia

What'cha Reading? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   What'cha Reading? Icon_minitime7th June 2010, 3:36 pm

finished "Needful Things" (took so long because of the fucking exams What'cha Reading? 251688 ) awesome as always What'cha Reading? 232696 long live the King What'cha Reading? 305174

just started "Queda la Noche" by Soledad Puéertolas..
Back to top Go down
Doctor Ruin
Pub Manager
Doctor Ruin

What'cha Reading? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   What'cha Reading? Icon_minitime7th June 2010, 6:56 pm

Yep, exams fucked up my current readings, too Laughing good to know about Needful Things, so! Very Happy

I'm going with two books that will be needed for university, this time: a history of printing, from manuscripts to computer texts by Jean-François Gilmont and... Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld, which, together with its illustrations, will be one of the books to base my degree thesis on Laughing for some reason I couldn't even explain myself, I decided to go with a thesis about Sci-Fi illustrations/Steampunk genre, so I'm taking a look at as many books, comics, illustrations and movies as I can find, since they are the only ways to 'study' it Shocked
Back to top Go down
principia
Pub Manager
principia

What'cha Reading? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   What'cha Reading? Icon_minitime7th June 2010, 7:17 pm

wow,such a cool way to study for your exams What'cha Reading? 232696

i just hate studying for the exams..it makes you numb,takes you apart from your world..i don't study that much(i was never a hard working student What'cha Reading? 2548 ) but still, when i close my eyes i see electrical circuits,chemical reactions and integral symbols..how i hate those motherfuckers What'cha Reading? 251688

wish you luck for your exams..and your readings Wink
Back to top Go down
Doctor Ruin
Pub Manager
Doctor Ruin

What'cha Reading? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   What'cha Reading? Icon_minitime7th June 2010, 7:35 pm

principia wrote:
wow,such a cool way to study for your exams What'cha Reading? 232696

Hehe, definitely it is What'cha Reading? 232696

I stopped being a hard working student ever since I discovered that I could still get high graduations doing half of the things I used to do... Laughing but I totally get what you mean with that feeling, it was exactly the same for me last year with the freaking names of the parts of a printed book, printing techinques and so on... so damn boring to learn What'cha Reading? 2548 (and so damn easy to forget right after the exams What'cha Reading? 460863 )

Thank you, by the way!!! Very Happy I wish you luck, too Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What'cha Reading? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   What'cha Reading? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What'cha Reading?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Electric Circus Saloon :: Second Floor :: The Fireplace-
Jump to: