The Electric Circus Saloon
'Ey dude let's party!
'Ey dude let's party!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Have a drink, dude.

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What'cha Reading?

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Doctor Ruin
Pub Manager

What'cha Reading? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   What'cha Reading? - Page 3 Icon_minitime16th September 2010, 11:57 am

After ages of not knowing what to read, I finally took again Bag of Bones by Stephen King Very Happy
Started to read it ages ago, but never finished it because of my continuous switching between different books, lol. It's my intention to finish it, this time I love you
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/astraea_nevermore
principia
Pub Manager
principia

PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   What'cha Reading? - Page 3 Icon_minitime16th September 2010, 1:45 pm

Bag of Bones Neutral
serena,i really don't know how to explain this but i know you'd believe me when i try to..
that book is somehow cursed for me Neutral yeah,sounds insane but i tried to read it many times..at first,i used to start reading and like you,i never managed to finish it because of several reasons..it's a little weird when it comes to a book by King cause i never experienced such a thing before-i start and finish his books without knowing how- but this was different. i tried to read it on beaches,farm houses,on my most comfortable couches but something always put me down..i used to read a couple of pages(and always the same amount of pages) and put it down Neutral
i never gave up trying to read it..funny,cause i read many of his books while struggling to read that one.anyways,one night i had a terrible nightmare-in which i experienced my death scene,i begged to god "please not this time" Neutral - woke up and the next day i experienced something similar to that one and it was the start of my "panic attack" days..i was so afraid that i was having a cerebral hemorage or something like that that night,that it turned into a serious case..there were times in which i couldn't breathe,my heart was beating like a horse and i could never sleep because of the fear of death..fear of not waking up again..god,those times were terrible. i hated the first year of university(cause it wasn't where i wanted to be),two of my best friends moved to other cities and i often questioned the purpose of life..

anyways,what's more important about the book is,when those sympoms started(and that nightmare) i was trying to read that book again and this time i was about to finish it Neutral there were 4-5 pages left if my memory serves me right..i had that nightmare and experienced it somehow,but didn't care about it at first.."too much stress of the university exams" i thought and the doctors thought the same..but after a couple of days i realized that i always felt the rush of the attacks when i started reading that book..it was unbelievable,after 2-3 sentences i felt like someone's choking me Neutral i couldn't breathe and certain images ran into my head..

suffered from those panic attacks for a couple of months and i still experience the feeling of choking when i think about it(although i've been extremely happy,peaceful and full of life for a long time that i've never been before) but i don't care about death and afterlife anymore..not that i don't care but i don't think about such things,which means,i'm not afraid of both anymore Smile

i didn't mean to disturb you with such ideas but i really decided that something was terribly wrong about that book Neutral maybe it was because of my obsession with dreams and nightmares(Freudian and Kingesque kind of dreams big grin ) but i'm not sure..call it whatever,if it still makes me write a looong post about it,then there's definitely something terribly wrong about it Neutral

but you know what? i'm gonna try and read it again What a Face
Back to top Go down
Doctor Ruin
Pub Manager
Doctor Ruin

PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   What'cha Reading? - Page 3 Icon_minitime17th September 2010, 3:12 pm

Don't worry, dear, you didn't disturb me at all! Well, even if I'm really sorry to hear what happened to you Sad but I can truly believe it... strange enough, I had some experiences with 'cursed' stuff, too Neutral
One of the things that come to my mind first is... another Stephen King book, Gerald's Game. Weird, huh? Shocked I brought that with me during a vacation with my first boyfriend (the one who made me discover W.A.S.P.) and... well, every-fucking-time I picked that book up, I ended up having an argument with the guy in less than a hour. Ok, that one wasn't an easy period for both of us, but hell, arguments didn't happen as frequently when I was reading other stuff. I left the book alone for a while and things kinda got better. Months later, when I picked it up again, arguments came back. It was as if reading it made me angry at the world, and especially him. Shocked
Funny how, in effect, the whole beginning of Gerald's Game is about a love story ending really bad, and the protagonist had problems with abuse from males, but... I'm not the kind of person who's that easily influenced from a story, really Neutral still, I felt with this strange sense of anger everytime I read that. Kind of like when I drink too much coffee and I start to yell at everyone around me, lol. Anyway, apart from the anger thing, it wasn't as bad as your experience, luckily Neutral damn, that must have been really terrible!

I also had some "unlucky songs", Lichtgestalt by Lacrimosa and Mother Russia by Iron Maiden. The days I was listening to them, I ended up with an exam failure, a bad comment from my teacher or even hearing news about a member of my family getting seriously ill Sad and it was a real pity 'cos I fucking loved both songs. Nowadays Lichtgestalt kinda 'lost' that unlucky effect, but I haven't dared to listen to Mother Russia again yet Neutral Maybe I'm just being superstitious, maybe they were just coincidence, but still, for as much as I like the songs, I don't really like to get some bad news everytime I listen to one of them. Neutral

By the way... have you tried reading Bag of Bones, just getting another copy of the book?
*Heard a fairly big number of cursed objects stories and thinks that it might have been the copy of the book to have something wrong*

*Waits for being looked at like crazy*
Back to top Go down
principia
Pub Manager
principia

PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   What'cha Reading? - Page 3 Icon_minitime17th September 2010, 9:10 pm

Doctor Ruin wrote:
Funny how, in effect, the whole beginning of Gerald's Game is about a love story ending really bad, and the protagonist had problems with abuse from males, but... I'm not the kind of person who's that easily influenced from a story, really Neutral still, I felt with this strange sense of anger everytime I read that.

yeah i was gonna say that..it's an important fact and must have affected you even if you didn't realize Neutral

Doctor Ruin wrote:
Maybe I'm just being superstitious, maybe they were just coincidence, but still, for as much as I like the songs, I don't really like to get some bad news everytime I listen to one of them. Neutral

it's %100 superstition,i believe that. but it was out of my control,later when i read the symptoms of panic attack,i realized that they were just the same as mine..i just couldn't help it Neutral
after the first attack,i felt so bad that i ran to my dad's arms and said i couldn't breathe..i looked at the mirror,saw my pale face and then i looked at the time:it was 00:40..(i still remember it Neutral ) after that night,i waited for that exact time,thinking it was gonna strike me again and then...let the anxiety begin Neutral
i just couldn't control my feelings at that point just like you while hesitating to listen to those songs(or me reading the book)..it's more than a superstition,it's something that can't be controlled i guess..

Doctor Ruin wrote:
By the way... have you tried reading Bag of Bones, just getting another copy of the book?
*Heard a fairly big number of cursed objects stories and thinks that it might have been the copy of the book to have something wrong*

ha! the story of getting that books is quite strange actually Smile
my pal and i were just wandering around and then we saw a guy selling some books(yeah,pirate publishing What'cha Reading? - Page 3 2548 )..i was 15 at the time and we were like fuckin hippies..we liked booze,reading,listening to music but never had enough money for any of them big grin we were more than happy when we saw those books..she got "Bag of Bones" and i got "Hearts in Atlantis" for less than 1 euro i think What'cha Reading? - Page 3 2548
then we swtiched the books and she said that she wanted to give hers to me Neutral
now that i think of it,why the hell did she give it to me? Suspect

haha i dunno,i'm gonna try to read this one again(yeah,i'm gonna face it What a Face ) but i'll try another copy if that doesn't work Neutral

Doctor Ruin wrote:
*Waits for being looked at like crazy*

i won't be the one to look at you like that,that's for sure What'cha Reading? - Page 3 547387
Back to top Go down
zombiesmack27
Customer
zombiesmack27

PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   What'cha Reading? - Page 3 Icon_minitime21st September 2010, 8:25 am

I'm currently reading a book about Heavy Metal music.
My friend loaned me another book, but I haven't cracked that one open yet.
I've been busy just dealing with my own writing, now that my block is gone.
Back to top Go down
zombiesmack27
Customer
zombiesmack27

PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   What'cha Reading? - Page 3 Icon_minitime21st September 2010, 8:27 am

Oh yeah - I did read a few books by Laurel Hamilton and I decided that if she can get her crappy stuff published there's no reason in the world I can't get my stuff published.
cheers
Back to top Go down
principia
Pub Manager
principia

PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   What'cha Reading? - Page 3 Icon_minitime2nd October 2010, 4:45 pm

recently found some Clive Barker books,which i've been searching for quite some time,but found them by chance..there was a pile of cheap books in one of the book stores here-original books,some of them are part of some series along with ripped ones,but i found what i've been searching for amongst them: "Books of Blood" (the second one,hope to find the other 2) and "Cabal"

for about 1.5 euros..i'm good at finding great books at low prices,right? What'cha Reading? - Page 3 2548

kinda weird but it's real hard to find his books over here and the publisher is quite unknown..

found "Cabal" yesterday and started reading that one study
Back to top Go down
Doctor Ruin
Pub Manager
Doctor Ruin

PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   What'cha Reading? - Page 3 Icon_minitime6th March 2011, 4:12 am

Just finished reading Nikki Sixx's Heroin Diaries... unbelievable but true, we finally got an italian translation, so I could read the book without having to search for it in English. It was... woah, pretty shocking. But I loved it to death. What'cha Reading? - Page 3 416115
Back to top Go down
principia
Pub Manager
principia

PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   What'cha Reading? - Page 3 Icon_minitime14th March 2011, 12:22 am

hmm, let's see what i read all these time apart from Mr.Apak's "Analytical Chemistry" bullshit study

"The Castle" by Kafka (but i guess that was quite a long time ago,considering it took a few weeks just to finish with the book Smile )

"Just After Sunset" by Stephen King.. some really creepy stuff there,as usual -well, i don't like half of his stories,but this one has some real great ones-

"Framed" by Frank Cottrell Boyce..a book that i bought for my bro, but really enjoyed it.

"The Tale of the Unknown Island" by Jose Saramago.. a very short story by a fascinating writer.

"Mona Lisa Smile" by Aldous Huxley..a short story

and now started with Knut Hamsun's "Hunger"..great book,gotta love Norwegians What'cha Reading? - Page 3 232696
Back to top Go down
Betelguese
Pub Manager
Betelguese

PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   What'cha Reading? - Page 3 Icon_minitime21st August 2011, 8:32 pm

Bag of Bones and Needful Things have got me into Led Zeppelin long time ago, believe it or not 1981 Whenever I listen to 'What is and What Should Never Be', I think of Mr. King doh
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What'cha Reading?   What'cha Reading? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What'cha Reading?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Electric Circus Saloon :: Second Floor :: The Fireplace-
Jump to: