The Electric Circus Saloon
'Ey dude let's party!
'Ey dude let's party!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Have a drink, dude.

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

For Betelguese - a song from the homeland

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
xanthipee
Bartender
xanthipee

For Betelguese - a song from the homeland Empty
PostSubject: For Betelguese - a song from the homeland   For Betelguese - a song from the homeland Icon_minitime13th July 2010, 10:09 pm

Recently, I've bumped into this amazing performance of an old folk song from Bosnia. It's one of the most famous "sevdah songs" or "sevdalinka", as we say that in Serbian. Here, in the Balkans, everybody likes this song: the Bosniaks, the Serbs, the Croats, the Macedonias... I hope you'll like it, too! For Betelguese - a song from the homeland Icon_smile

Serena, you probably won't like this! For Betelguese - a song from the homeland Icon_smile

Original Video - More videos at TinyPic
Back to top Go down
Betelguese
Pub Manager
Betelguese

PostSubject: Re: For Betelguese - a song from the homeland   For Betelguese - a song from the homeland Icon_minitime16th July 2010, 12:22 am

Ah Xan, thank you!
I know sevdalinka and this one is a great version bom Actually 'sevda' is an alternate word for 'aşk' that means love in Turkish, and I'm sure I've heard Turkish versions of sevdalinka with a deep balkan accent Laughing
Thank you again, I'd like to find some more videos to put up here but I'll need more time I guess king

Last edited by Betelguese on 17th July 2010, 3:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
xanthipee
Bartender
xanthipee

PostSubject: Re: For Betelguese - a song from the homeland   For Betelguese - a song from the homeland Icon_minitime16th July 2010, 11:01 pm

I know the word 'aşk', but in Serbian we pronounce it like "ashik". There's even a verb "asikovati" which means "to flatter, to court somebody". Being in Turkey, I actually realized I know many words like, for instance, ashik, aksham, dzehenem, dzenet, jastuk (an archaic word), hallal, mashallah, yok (ha-ha), javash, etc. Actually, it's tiring because the list is very long. For Betelguese - a song from the homeland Icon_cool

I can help you find the sevdalinka videos. I know who best Bosnian performers are/were.
Back to top Go down
Betelguese
Pub Manager
Betelguese

PostSubject: Re: For Betelguese - a song from the homeland   For Betelguese - a song from the homeland Icon_minitime17th July 2010, 3:22 am

Ahah I remembered the note that was on 'The Bridge on the Drina', it's said that to translate it into Turkish was the easiest translation because of the common words; some parts were never changed For Betelguese - a song from the homeland Icon_lol

If you come across any traditional songs when you're browsing, it's very welcome just post it, lady!For Betelguese - a song from the homeland Icon_king
Back to top Go down
Doctor Ruin
Pub Manager
Doctor Ruin

PostSubject: Re: For Betelguese - a song from the homeland   For Betelguese - a song from the homeland Icon_minitime17th July 2010, 11:15 am

xanthipee wrote:
Serena, you probably won't like this! For Betelguese - a song from the homeland Icon_smile

Hahah, why shouldn't I? Very Happy It was a nice songs! Very Happy I think I never heard the original version, though :oops:
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/astraea_nevermore
xanthipee
Bartender
xanthipee

PostSubject: Re: For Betelguese - a song from the homeland   For Betelguese - a song from the homeland Icon_minitime18th July 2010, 1:32 am

[quote="Doctor Ruin"]
xanthipee wrote:

Hahah, why shouldn't I? Very Happy It was a nice songs! Very Happy I think I never heard the original version, though :oops: r=orange]Maybe because this kind of music is totally unknown to you (or , at least, I suppose so) and that's why you might find it a bit strange. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that you don't like the music. I'm glad I'm wrong. For Betelguese - a song from the homeland Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Doctor Ruin
Pub Manager
Doctor Ruin

PostSubject: Re: For Betelguese - a song from the homeland   For Betelguese - a song from the homeland Icon_minitime19th July 2010, 8:18 pm

Hahah, well, no worries, I love discovering new stuff Very Happy
The strange thing is that, from a side, the very beginning of the song reminded me of something I already knew... but then, it was completely different Laughing still, good one Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/astraea_nevermore
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: For Betelguese - a song from the homeland   For Betelguese - a song from the homeland Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

For Betelguese - a song from the homeland
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Electric Circus Saloon :: Ground Floor :: Bar-
Jump to: