The Electric Circus Saloon
'Ey dude let's party!
'Ey dude let's party!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Have a drink, dude.

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How did you discover W.A.S.P.?

Go down 
+2
principia
Doctor Ruin
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Doctor Ruin
Pub Manager
Doctor Ruin

How did you discover W.A.S.P.? Empty
PostSubject: How did you discover W.A.S.P.?   How did you discover W.A.S.P.? Icon_minitime12th September 2010, 8:25 pm

...This has to be the typical, newbie question, but I truly realised that, in effect, I don't know how did you girls discover about W.A.S.P., and I would really like to know! Very Happy

As for me, I was introduced to them by my first boyfriend, in late 2006. He was a sort of true metal defender wannabe and, since at the time I used to listen to recent power metal bands like Sonata Arctica and Rhapsody Of Fire, he kept on saying that W.A.S.P. were too good for me, considering the shit I was used to listen to, and that I would have never understood them, or somewhat like that -yeah, in case you're wondering, he was an asshole- How did you discover W.A.S.P.? 2548
As you can imagine, with a presentation like that, I ended up being not so interested in the band, so for the whole next year I just knew that they existed, but never listened to them. The next summer, I was still with that guy, and he made me listen to Chainsaw Charlie... I didn't know it was W.A.S.P., on the moment, but I loved that A LOT. My first thought was something along the lines of "fucking killer drummer", the second thought was "FUCKING GENIUS SINGER!" Laughing
I asked my boyfriend to put that song on my mp3 player, and so he did. However, the real addiction came only later, with Stars video. I was a huge Queensryche addict, at the time, so still my boyfriend sent me the Hear N' Aid video to let me see the Geoff Tate part. By the end of the video, there was this tall, black haired guy who was making crazy faces and hand gestures. "Looks like the lovechild of Dream from Sandman comics and the kid from the Exorcist!" - that was my thought Laughing
Although I had already seen Blackie on The Last Command cover some months ago, I didn't recognize him to be the same person. Either way, I found that... "character" to be really interesting. And I'm not talking about beauty... you know when you look at a random person/thing and suddenly an inspiration for a story strikes you really bad? How did you discover W.A.S.P.? 2548
Blackie looked like a perfect inspiration for a new character and a new story. I had been in a huge writer's block in the whole past year, and seeing this random guy singing in a crowd somehow made me think that he would have been great as a comic character. Later on, I was told that the "random black haired guy" was Blackie Lawless, singer of W.A.S.P., that band I already knew. As a "tribute" to the guy who inspired me a new story, so, I decided that the character of my story (a woman) would have been a hardcore W.A.S.P. fan, and the reason of her being a fan could have been the similarities between her personality's and Blackie's.
Started to make some more researches about the band because of that and... the more I discovered about the band and the man, the more I became the hardcore fan of the situation, lol.

...Funny how, by the way, one of the main reasons W.A.S.P. fans admire the band is exactly the reason I wanted to put in my story: they feel to be similar to Blackie How did you discover W.A.S.P.? 2548

Sooooooo... waiting for your stories cherry
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/astraea_nevermore
principia
Pub Manager
principia

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover W.A.S.P.?   How did you discover W.A.S.P.? Icon_minitime13th September 2010, 12:09 am

a classic thread that we have forgotten buzz saw

how i met W.A.S.P ? kids,i'm gonna tell ya the story Cool

now,it started not so long ago-in 2005 or 2006- but my personal heavy metal journey started in 2001 anyways so that ain't a big gap i guess Smile there were different kinds of styles that i listened to all through those years,i mean before 2001(that means when i was a kid How did you discover W.A.S.P.? 2548 )-listened to my aunt's old casettes like Paul Simon,The Beatles,Joan Baez,Bryan Adams,U2 and Simply Red(yeah How did you discover W.A.S.P.? 2548 )- then totally discovered something new..started with thrash bands at the age of 14 and i have to admit that Glam meant Gay LA Metal for me back then(thanks to the random ginger guy How did you discover W.A.S.P.? 232696 )..during high school years i listened to punk and grunge,then came the years during which i listened to whatever i could find..after that university years came,i was in a total mass,i rejected all the things,all of my school life,almost everything around me,started my years of ruin and depression..the result was lots of doom/death metal bands..bands like Anathema,Empyrium,Lacrimas Profundere,Lake of Tears and so on..listened to all those stuff for about a year and realized that they made me worse..so i started to dig the 80's(thanks to a friend and a site that i used to write) and WASP came along with the others..the very first song that i listened to was Sleeping in the Fire and i was amazed..i wasn't using internet very often back then,and that guy came into my life with only his enchanting voice..i didn't want to see what he look like but i couldn't help..saw the man and thought he wasn't from this planet..yeah,i did think like that How did you discover W.A.S.P.? 2548
his voice and his unique style and image made me fall in love with him and his work,the band's debut album was the one to give me the chills at the time..i can honestly say that i had never listened to anything like that before..that raw energy,that unique vocal style and the gore image..my blood started to boil in my veins and that was the beginning of a new era for me,cause after that time,i truly believed that categorization was a sin and listened to anything and everything that is rock'n roll and heavy metal..
The Crimson Idol was the next album from the enchanting guy that literally made me an obsessed human being..i was in awe! i was writing stuff at that time(i mean,i've been writing for a long time but i was totally in another world during those months) and observing the whole concept as a writer,i couldn't believe that this piece of work was coming from the "wild child" Neutral that album taught me another thing: nobody's like what they seem..i felt the love,admire and respect for the guy and never give a break until this day..
my admiration for the band had its utmost form after seeing them in '09 live How did you discover W.A.S.P.? 232696
WASP is one of those bands that i can never give up listening to and helped me a lot during my journey..Blackie is still the most influential musician for me,even if i don't agree with what he says and does nowadays(and during most of his career of course Smile )

long live Blackie How did you discover W.A.S.P.? 232696
buzz saw
Back to top Go down
principia
Pub Manager
principia

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover W.A.S.P.?   How did you discover W.A.S.P.? Icon_minitime13th September 2010, 6:26 pm

Quote :
Blackie looked like a perfect inspiration for a new character and a new story. I had been in a huge writer's block in the whole past year, and seeing this random guy singing in a crowd somehow made me think that he would have been great as a comic character. Later on, I was told that the "random black haired guy" was Blackie Lawless, singer of W.A.S.P., that band I already knew. As a "tribute" to the guy who inspired me a new story, so, I decided that the character of my story (a woman) would have been a hardcore W.A.S.P. fan, and the reason of her being a fan could have been the similarities between her personality's and Blackie's.

a very interesting fact about Blackie-that he is an inspiration for most of us-.
btw,i'd love to read one of your stories and try to translate some of mine into English so that you can read..
or simply start an "inspiration thread" Very Happy
yeah i'm gonna do that later tonight Wink
Back to top Go down
Doctor Ruin
Pub Manager
Doctor Ruin

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover W.A.S.P.?   How did you discover W.A.S.P.? Icon_minitime13th September 2010, 9:12 pm

principia wrote:
a classic thread that we have forgotten buzz saw

how i met W.A.S.P ? kids,i'm gonna tell ya the story Cool

now,it started not so long ago-in 2005 or 2006- but my personal heavy metal journey started in 2001 anyways so that ain't a big gap i guess Smile there were different kinds of styles that i listened to all through those years,i mean before 2001(that means when i was a kid How did you discover W.A.S.P.? 2548 )-listened to my aunt's old casettes like Paul Simon,The Beatles,Joan Baez,Bryan Adams,U2 and Simply Red(yeah How did you discover W.A.S.P.? 2548 )-

Aaaaw, kinda same here, I started to steal my dad's cassettes... Paul Simon & Art Garfunkel were included among the stuff I used to listen to at the time Very Happy we also had some random stuff by The Beatles, Janis Joplin and Bob Dylan playing around, but my dad's never been a huge rock fan, so we mainly went for jazz, blues, italian singer songwriters and classical music Very Happy

Quote :
then totally discovered something new..started with thrash bands at the age of 14 and i have to admit that Glam meant Gay LA Metal for me back then(thanks to the random ginger guy How did you discover W.A.S.P.? 232696 )

How did you discover W.A.S.P.? 460863

Quote :
..during high school years i listened to punk and grunge,then came the years during which i listened to whatever i could find..after that university years came,i was in a total mass,i rejected all the things,all of my school life,almost everything around me,started my years of ruin and depression..the result was lots of doom/death metal bands..bands like Anathema,Empyrium,Lacrimas Profundere,Lake of Tears and so on..listened to all those stuff for about a year and realized that they made me worse..

Aaaaw, too bad about that Sad hope things are going better now!

Quote :
so i started to dig the 80's(thanks to a friend and a site that i used to write) and WASP came along with the others..the very first song that i listened to was Sleeping in the Fire and i was amazed..i wasn't using internet very often back then,and that guy came into my life with only his enchanting voice..i didn't want to see what he look like but i couldn't help..saw the man and thought he wasn't from this planet..yeah,i did think like that How did you discover W.A.S.P.? 2548
his voice and his unique style and image made me fall in love with him and his work,the band's debut album was the one to give me the chills at the time..i can honestly say that i had never listened to anything like that before..that raw energy,that unique vocal style and the gore image..my blood started to boil in my veins and that was the beginning of a new era for me,cause after that time,i truly believed that categorization was a sin and listened to anything and everything that is rock'n roll and heavy metal..

Yay, same here with the beginning of a new era! Not much for the categorization thing, as I always listened to everything I used to like (I mean, literally everything How did you discover W.A.S.P.? 2548 ), but I feel I somehow changed a lot, after discovering W.A.S.P..
In a certain way, reading Blackie's interviews, liner notes and lyrics, helped me to discover something more about myself, too Neutral many things he said through the years perfectly expressed stuff I had been thinking about for years but I never wanted to really admit, not even to myself. Strange as it may sound, it's like he helped me growing up Neutral

Quote :
a very interesting fact about Blackie-that he is an inspiration for most of us-.
btw,i'd love to read one of your stories and try to translate some of mine into English so that you can read..
or simply start an "inspiration thread" Very Happy
yeah i'm gonna do that later tonight Wink

Yay, that's so true!!! For the whole past year I literally had the whole Best Of album as default soundtrack when I was drawing something. Laughing
Many ideas came out while listening to him! Aaaaand... yep, I would love to read some of your stories, too! Very Happy
I have an online blog with some old stuff published on it, but it's all in italian, so I guess I'll have to work on translations, too Wink
Love the inspiration thread idea! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
principia
Pub Manager
principia

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover W.A.S.P.?   How did you discover W.A.S.P.? Icon_minitime13th September 2010, 11:30 pm

Doctor Ruin wrote:
Aaaaw, kinda same here, I started to steal my dad's cassettes... Paul Simon & Art Garfunkel were included among the stuff I used to listen to at the time Very Happy we also had some random stuff by The Beatles, Janis Joplin and Bob Dylan playing around, but my dad's never been a huge rock fan, so we mainly went for jazz, blues, italian singer songwriters and classical music Very Happy

casettes rock How did you discover W.A.S.P.? 305174
i didn't know where to start my musical journey-even when i was a little kid- and those casettes helped me a lot..but now they are totally fucked up..tried to listen to a Paul Simon casette last week(i think it's 20-25 years old How did you discover W.A.S.P.? 2548 ) but it was literally fucked up Sad
my aunt was a real rock chick back in her university years but nowadays she seems she totally forgot about those days Rolling Eyes she used to buy me a casette every once in a while (cause i couldn't find most of the albums in my little local shops and she was living in Istanbul) and it was great for me cause i didn't know what to buy really How did you discover W.A.S.P.? 2548 i really owe her a lot..

Doctor Ruin wrote:
Aaaaw, too bad about that Sad hope things are going better now!

thanks dear,i'm very well now Smile
actually those bad times lasted only for a couple of months and then one of my best friends had a very bad accident and she was in coma for a couple of months Sad those were really bad times too,but everything in life teaches you something,i had to experience all those past memories in order to achieve these brilliant moments in my life Smile
and you know that awesome quote; "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" Wink

Doctor Ruin wrote:
In a certain way, reading Blackie's interviews, liner notes and lyrics, helped me to discover something more about myself, too Neutral many things he said through the years perfectly expressed stuff I had been thinking about for years but I never wanted to really admit, not even to myself. Strange as it may sound, it's like he helped me growing up Neutral

same here..
i guess that's why we're all here,right?

Doctor Ruin wrote:
Yay, that's so true!!! For the whole past year I literally had the whole Best Of album as default soundtrack when I was drawing something. Laughing
Many ideas came out while listening to him! Aaaaand... yep, I would love to read some of your stories, too! Very Happy
I have an online blog with some old stuff published on it, but it's all in italian, so I guess I'll have to work on translations, too Wink
Love the inspiration thread idea! Very Happy

bounce
Back to top Go down
Doctor Ruin
Pub Manager
Doctor Ruin

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover W.A.S.P.?   How did you discover W.A.S.P.? Icon_minitime14th September 2010, 11:40 pm

principia wrote:
casettes rock How did you discover W.A.S.P.? 305174
i didn't know where to start my musical journey-even when i was a little kid- and those casettes helped me a lot..but now they are totally fucked up..tried to listen to a Paul Simon casette last week(i think it's 20-25 years old How did you discover W.A.S.P.? 2548 ) but it was literally fucked up Sad
my aunt was a real rock chick back in her university years but nowadays she seems she totally forgot about those days Rolling Eyes she used to buy me a casette every once in a while (cause i couldn't find most of the albums in my little local shops and she was living in Istanbul) and it was great for me cause i didn't know what to buy really How did you discover W.A.S.P.? 2548 i really owe her a lot..

Aaaaw, that's great! Very Happy I have some rockers in my family, too... but I discovered that only when I was already into that kind of music myself, lol.
Cassettes totally rock! Pity that they are really fragile Sad too bad for your cassettes...
...I still have some of mine, but haven't listened to them in a loooooong while, don't really know what happened to them, and I'm afraid to discover about it D:
(not to mention that I already went mad when I realised that I lost my Queen - Made In Heaven and Simon & Garfunkel's Best Of cassettes How did you discover W.A.S.P.? 251688 )

Quote :
thanks dear,i'm very well now Smile
actually those bad times lasted only for a couple of months and then one of my best friends had a very bad accident and she was in coma for a couple of months Sad those were really bad times too,but everything in life teaches you something,i had to experience all those past memories in order to achieve these brilliant moments in my life Smile
and you know that awesome quote; "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" Wink

I'm sorry to hear what happened to your friend Sad
But you're right, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. So true Wink

Quote :
same here..
i guess that's why we're all here,right?

Hell yeah! cherry
Back to top Go down
xanthipee
Bartender
xanthipee

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover W.A.S.P.?   How did you discover W.A.S.P.? Icon_minitime18th September 2010, 1:01 am

Well, now it's mom's turn! How did you discover W.A.S.P.? 830336 Dear, girls, you're about to hear a story from the Stone Age about how your mom "met" daddy! How did you discover W.A.S.P.? Icon_lol

The story goes like this: "It was 1989 and I was 17. At that time I used to listen to hard rock: Deep Purple, Whitesnake, Rainbow and Black Sabbath. I also liked some metal bands like Metallica, for example. One day, I was doing some shopping with my daddy, which meant I could ask him to buy me whatever I wanted. So, while my good, old daddy was at the supermarket buying sausages, booze, toilette paper, etc. I went to my favourite record shop to buy the latest Metallica release " ... And Justice For All ...". But alas! They ran out of all the copies! I was just about to fall into a really bad depression, when I spotted IT! The Headless Children! Of course, I knew ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the band, but I desparately wanted to spend the money that was ripped off from my poor daddy and, so I bought The Headless and ... IT BLEW ME AWAY! The next day, I returned to the shop and bought "Live ... in the raw" because it was the only WASP album they had. I have to admit I was a bit disappointed, but still, I liked it. So, that's how I became a WASP fan. The most peculiar thing about all this was that none of the people I knew used to listen to WASP. They were totally unknown in ex Yugoslavia. We were the Iron Maiden territory.

I was a fan of WASP for almost twenty years and during all that time, I only read one single interview. I didn't even know what the band members looked like. I only knew their names, because it was written on the album cover. I found out the waspnation about three years ago and only then Blackie became a three-dimensional character, a real person. "
Back to top Go down
zombiesmack27
Customer
zombiesmack27

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover W.A.S.P.?   How did you discover W.A.S.P.? Icon_minitime21st September 2010, 8:14 am

I first discovered WASP when I was a freshman in Highschool. I'd heard a local group cover a couple of their songs during the Neewollah celebration in my home town. I also was friends with a couple of guys who really liked WASP and gave me the proper introduction to them.
Back to top Go down
disangie
Customer
disangie

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover W.A.S.P.?   How did you discover W.A.S.P.? Icon_minitime8th March 2011, 12:41 am

i was living a very bad couple relationship with my first husband, i can say it was hell; but to divorce was looking like hell too due my religious beliefs; so i was living between two hells, and close to suicide---maybe this is not the real word, i can't suicide me, say beter, i was living like a zombie...(sorry for my short english)...a day a friend of mine gimme me a tape he had recorded a vinyle "of a band from USA i need more infos about but i don't like them, but maybe you will enjoy to listen too" he said.

well, i listened, deep in the night, with an old tape recorder (you know, the small black box with a red button to record...the things from the 70' lol)and....suddendly it was the LIGHT!

i took me 3 years to change my life but i was no more alone Smile

since this time i never left a day without a WASP song Smile
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/disangie
TheHeretic
Customer
TheHeretic

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover W.A.S.P.?   How did you discover W.A.S.P.? Icon_minitime13th March 2011, 8:35 am

I guess I always knew "I Wanna Be Somebody" before I even knew who wrote it. When I was getting into Metal, W.A.S.P. was a name I always knew about but for some reason, never really checked out. After awhile, the only other songs I really knew were (aside from the aforementioned song) Animal and Blind in Texas (both of which I liked)... then I heard "Chainsaw Charlie." Soon I bought "The Crimson Idol" and I couldn't get that out of my CD players (still can't). I started looking into more of their albums and I was pretty much hooked right there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover W.A.S.P.?   How did you discover W.A.S.P.? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How did you discover W.A.S.P.?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Electric Circus Saloon :: Ground Floor :: W.A.S.P. Corner-
Jump to: